Following on from the successful series “Caring for Carers”, Armstrong Medical again teamed up with Healthcare Education Platform MedAll sponsoring the “Respiratory Skills Course” on 18th February 2021.
The course focused on practical lessons for acute respiratory care with topics including rehabilitation, proning and the “right” respiratory support in critical care.
Don’t miss any updates and sign up to our Company Newsletter.
Prof João Carlos Winck
"Respiratory support pathways in patients with COVID-19"
Watch Prof João Carlos Winck’s talk here.
- Prof Winck is an Affiliated Associate Professor at the Porto Medical School and Respiratory Consultant at the Northern Rehabilitation Centre Cardio-Pulmonary Group.
- He is head of respiratory medicine at the Alfena-Valongo Hospital and Trofa Saude group, leading 2 sleep laboratories.
- He is currently Associate Editor and past Editor in Chief of the Portuguese Pulmonary Journal.
"The Science behind the Prone Position"
Watch Jonathan Downham’s talk here.
- Jonathan is an Advanced Critical Care Practitioner in Warwick, UK.
- He has worked in critical care for over 25 years and has a website at criticalcarepractitioner.co.uk from which he bases his teaching, podcasts and videos.
- He is passionate about helping others learn, whilst he does too.
Dr Catriona Kelly
“Handling Oxygenation Targets in the Intensive Care Unit (HOT-ICU)”
Watch Dr Catriona Kelly’s talk here.
- Dr Kelly is a Consultant in Critical Care Medicine and Neuroanaesthesia in the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust.
- She graduated from the University of Dundee in 1999 and undertook her Anaesthetic and Critical Care Training in the Northern Ireland Training Scheme.
- After a 12 month fellowship in Trauma and Neuro ICU and Anaesthesia at St Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, she returned to Belfast. She has a specialist interest in Awake Craniotomies and simulation training and is the Clinical Lead for Neuroanaesthesia in the Belfast Trust.
"Challenges and strategies for rehabilitation"
Watch Rachael Moses’ talk here.
- Rachael Moses is a Consultant Respiratory Physiotherapist and international lecturer.
- Her areas of expertise include complex ventilation, airway clearance techniques and advanced care planning for patients with long term conditions.
- She is currently working at the Royal Brompton and Harefield Trust as the Associate Director of Rehabilitation and Therapies and spent 2 months working as a Chief AHP at NHS Nightingale London during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Dr Som Sarkar
"Lessons in Critical Respiratory Care"
- Dr Som Sarkar is a Consultant in Critical Care and Anaesthesia and the Clinical Lead for the Critical Care Unit at Sherwood Forest Hospitals in Nottinghamshire, UK; a unit which has had to increase capacity by 3-fold during the waves of COVID.
- His interests include education (past Faculty Tutor, Regional Advisor and current FFICM examiner), governance (ICS Standards & Guidelines Committee, serious incident reviews and medicolegal aspects of critical care), healthcare quality assurance and outcomes measures.
"ECMO for Severe, Acute Respiratory Failure"
- Serena O’Brien has 20 years experience in critical care nursing and is currently the ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation) Co-ordinator at the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital.
- Serena completed her MSc by research degree in 2015 at University College Dublin where she investigated the long-term health-related quality of life of ECMO survivors in Ireland.
- She is the current Chair of the IACCN (Irish Association of Critical Care Nurses) and an active committee member of ICUsteps Dublin.